Sunday 1 March 2009

Mental Preparation....


Teachers have a lot to of preparation to do on a regular basis.
Much of our time is spent researching, planning, organizing, gathering materials, making things, and then doing it all again week in and week out.

And THEN we have to actually execute the lesson.
Haahhahahaha...


Add crazy shouting kids who have a 2 minute memory span for any instructions given, and dealing with various other crazy things that pop up, trying to cover content in the expected time, attending meetings, dealing with parents,... not forgetting all the "debriefing" and reflection we are supposed to do AFTER a lesson, yes, teachers can be pretty mentally exhausted by Fridays.




So I generally try to make sure I'm READY for the week - Sunday is usually my most laid back day, and despite feeling generally depressed that the gorgeous weekend has just passed, I try to look forward to the new work-week ahead.

How?

I think about my kids - not the stuff that gets me antsy and frustrated, but rather then things that make me happy.
Like how one of my kids just wrote in his journal on Friday that he has been very concerned about me when I missed school cuz I was sick. Then he said he loved me.
Awww....

I also try to get myself excited about any projects I'm working on.
For instance, this week, I'll be issuing my 2nd class newsletter.
Also, I'm taking the student support centre "public" - regular opening hours will finally be starting.
Lastly, I run through the lessons I have to cover tomorrow in my mind.
No surprises.
Everything about teaching has to be intentional.

Most importantly, I make sure that when i start my day tomorrow, it's with a smile - whether I feel like it or not, a smile is a powerful thing.

4 COMMENTS:

MTTC test on 6 June 2009 at 14:10 said...

Its very necessary to have mentl preparation to teach students specially kids.The way you told in this article is very useful. I will definitely try it. thanks for the suggestion.

Unknown on 6 June 2009 at 18:18 said...

Indeed! I'm glad it has encouraged you. :)

teachplacejul09 on 4 August 2009 at 17:38 said...

Mental training or sport psychology is no substitute for skills, and it is vital to emphasise the importance of skills, particularly when coaching youth football. Since the main aim of psychological training is to attain peak performance, it will not help much if your peak performance is poor!

the NCLEX

Unknown on 30 November 2009 at 19:29 said...

Yeah friend you are absolutely right, I'm agree with your commitment. I did remember the statement of Albert Einstein on the topic:
It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry. Fake diploma

 

Purposeful Teaching - Motivating Teachers Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template designed by Ipiet's Blogger Template